ear vines

ear vines

Postby katecarol » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:41 pm

I have been trying to make ear vines, and wonder if anyone has come across a tutorial on the web. Sure would appreciate any help. Thanks.[:)]
katecarol

Postby Varua » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:31 pm

Check out wigjig.com it's in their university files under the name of Ear Sweeps.

Varua
Varua

Postby klmmc » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:57 pm

Our own Janne wrote one for P, but I'm not sure what the pattern number is. I think it MIGHT be #141.

Kathy Cason
If You Have It- A Truck Brought It!
http://klmmc.auctioninsights.com
klmmc

Postby Bella » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 am

I love the one from Janne....it is a Great pattern, I like it much better than the one from wig jig[;)]
Bella

Postby bejeweled » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:50 am

Anyone actually wear these? Are they comfortable? How long does it take to make a pair? Do you have to mold it to each customer? They look pretty but to me they don't look comfortable. Do they slide around? Is it one piercing and then squished to the top part?
Just curious....

Donna :)
http://www.ulster.net/~dcason/designercabs
bejeweled

Postby wiredrabbit » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:35 pm

I made a pair and wear them on occasion (I dont wear much green but green beads were all i had small enough at that moment.) Anyways I really like them, they are comfortable after you get used to the fact that they touch more of your ear than regular earrings.
They didnt take me that long to do them half hour maybe, but then it was my first pair and was digging through beads. My sister and nieces
borrowed em an liked them and want more in different colors.

http://www.semiabstract.com
wiredrabbit

Postby 1234gem » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:35 pm

I think they are great. I make over 25 different designs of them. I call mine ear cascades. I learned to make them by taking a class with Janne Etz and she learned to make them from the original inventor of the ear vines. They are my best sellers at shows. I sell a ton of them. They are very easy to make and very fast also. Everyone loves them. They are very comfortable to wear. My mother wears them to work sometimes (she is 80 years old and still works full time). They can be wore by any age. I make mine from two beads up to ten beads which go all the way up the ear. [:I] Just my two cents worth. I usually just lurk around here.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... ted=552545
1234gem

Postby Bella » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:40 am

I agree with 1234gem,They are fun to make,and don't take long to do.
I call mine ear climbers...you have to find a name for yours, EAR VINE is a trade mark.I wear them a lot and my daughters wear them all the time,I sell a good deal of them. A lot of mine are two bead long, seems around here the gals go for small items.[:)]
Bella

Postby bejeweled » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:20 am

So how much do you charge for a two bead or three bead set? And do you make them like the pattern as though one had extra ear holes?
I guess I will whip up a few for spring and summer.
Donna :)
bejeweled

Postby Carol L » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:47 am

Varua, I wonder when WigJig started calling them ear sweeps. They used to call them ear vines. Not long after they first became popular, someone had mentioned that Ear Vines was patented, so I started calling mine Ear Sweeps. I've never heard of anyone else calling them that until now. No, I don't have that name patented, so it doesn't matter, but kind of strange as I know they were still calling theirs Ear Vines at that time.

Carol L
Creations by Ladinea
http://www.creationsbyladinea.netfirms.com

My Auctions
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50
Carol L

Postby twirled » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:20 am

I call mine "Ear Twirls" They get a lot of oohs and aahs every show and I sell a ton.

Mike Leal
Twirled Creations

http://www.twirld.com
twirled

Postby Varua » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:45 pm

The page says 'Last Modified: April 28, 2002'

Although the page content is copyrighted, I doubt 'Ear Sweeps' is as I believe they would have had to apply a trademark and indicate it on the pages they have it listed.

I have been known to be wrong tho....at least a few rare times[:)]

Varua

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Carol L</i>

Varua, I wonder when WigJig started calling them ear sweeps. They used to call them ear vines.
Varua

Postby linart » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:34 pm

I rarely wear anything else now, as these are so comfortable. I call them ear pins and tell everyone to think of them as bobby pins for the ear. Good sellers; primarily in the straight version and I just tell them to form each to the outer edge of their ear.

Linda
linart

Postby stdever » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:12 pm

I would like to resurrect this topic for some clarification. I wanted to start making these ear "vines, sweeps, pins, twirls, whatever" and downloaded the pattern from Prestons site. Was wearing a pair to a local show and was approached by someone who knows of the Alex guy and some Sylvia gal and said that it was illegal to make these. I didn't understand this since I knew nothing about these people and was copying P's free pattern. Is this anything to worry about? I obviously understand not calling them Vines (I wasn't since I knew nothing about that name). I was just wearing a pair that I had made as an experiment from Prestons' pattern. Sounds like plenty of you make them, so it really can't be illegal right??

Teresa
stdever

Postby Bella » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 am

I had a similar thing happen to me and I also met a man who does sell them for Alex.I contacted Janne,since I got the pattern from P and Janne gave a class on making them.
I think you should contact Janne and get her answer on this so I don't get anything wrong.
To my understanding,you can make the pattern from Janne,as long as you DO NOT do any of the ones that Alex does,and you MUST NOT call them ear vines as Alex does.I call mine ear climbers,each person that makes them should find their own name for them.
Hope this has helped,PLEASE contact Janne for her reply,that way you have it straight.
Bella

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, & Jewelry-Making Tutorials